skip to Main Content

What is a Notary Public?

Notary Public

A California Notary Public is a public servant commissioned by the Secretary of State to act as an impartial witness in taking acknowledgments, administering oaths and affirmations and in general preparing notarial certificates and performing other duties authorized by and in accordance with state law. Notaries lend credibility to the authenticity of certain important documents by verifying the signer’s identity and in some cases placing the signers under oath to “swear” or “affirm” as to the truthfulness of the statements claimed in the document.

What Information Does My Identification Have To Include?
  1. All identifying documents MUST include or comply with the following information:
    • Current or have been issued within five years.
    • Contain a photograph.
    • Contain a physical description of the person named.
    • Canadian or Mexican Driver’s License.
    • Must have a serial or other identifying number.
    • If it is a foreign passport, it must be stamped by the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS).
Mobile Notarization

Example of documents notarized:

  • Loan Signings
  • Trust Documents
  • Corporate Documents
  • Affidavit Of Citizenship
  • Living Trust
  • Power of Attorney
  • Real Estate Documents

As Notary Public, We are available to notarize many documents, such as:

  • Estate Planning – Trusts, POAs, Wills (prepared by an attorney)
  • Insurance Documents
  • Real Estate Documents
  • Deeds – Quitclaim Deed, Grant Deed, Deed of Trust
  • Powers of Attorney & Certified Copies of Powers of Attorney
  • Divorce / Settlement Agreements / Pre-nuptial Agreements
  • Permission to Travel; Passport Applications for Minors
What Identification Is Acceptable for Notarization?
Notary Services

California stipulates exactly what types of identification a Notary Public may use to identify a signer. Effective January 1, 2008, a Notary may rely on any of the following as ACCEPTABLE identification (Civil Code §1185):

  • U.S. Passport
  • Foreign Passport stamped by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • California Driver’s License or one issued in another State.
  • Canadian or Mexican Driver’s License.
  • California Identification Card or one issued by another State.
  • Identification Card issued by any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States (the Common Access Card – CAC – is not acceptable).
  • Inmate Identification Card (if the inmate is in custody).
Back To Top